Announcing the NEW YCP Summer Camp!
July 5-9, 2021
The Second City Chamber Series — Tacoma’s award-winning producer of professional chamber music concerts — invites high-school-age musicians interested in the performance of chamber music to audition for the Young Chamber Players (YCP), a week-long intensive chamber performance and education program sponsored by the Second City Chamber Series.
*Audition recordings must be received by Monday, June 7 at 5pm
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR YCP?
- All high school students of the Greater Tacoma area
- Must be attending high school in the 2020-2021 academic year
- Accomplished Junior High students will be considered on an individual basis.
- Any orchestral instrument (including euphonium and saxophone), piano, or guitar
- We encourage existing ensembles to participate as a group
Young Chamber Players Finale Concert
Friday, July 9, at 6:00pm on the lawn of:
Skyline Presbyterian Church
6301 N. Westgate Blvd. Tacoma, WA 98406
(all rehearsals will be outdoors [weather permitting] at Skyline Presbyterian Church)
We will rehearse each day during the week of July 5-9. The schedule for each day will be:
- 10:30-11:30am: first rehearsal, informal coaching with YCP staff
- 11:30am-12:30pm: lunch and Q+A with professional and student coaches
- 12:30-2:00pm: second rehearsal, formal coaching with professional and student coaches
- 2:00-2:30pm: informal student performances (solo or chamber)
- 2:30-3:00pm: informal faculty performances
- June 26, 10am-12pm: required ensemble meet-and-greet “reading” rehearsal. This is an informal first rehearsal where you will meet your fellow ensemble members and read through your repertoire together before we begin in earnest on July 5.
- July 3, 10am-12pm: OPTIONAL extra-help rehearsal for anyone who needs it.
- Fill out the application form (Available at tiny.cc/ycpapp).
- Submit a 5-minute video (approximately) of your best playing, the repertoire is entirely up to you
- All videos must be uploaded to YouTube, please make sure the link is part of your completed YCP application. (Triple-check your link to make sure it’s accurate!)
- Email Dr. Zach Lyman with any quetions: email@example.com
- A one-time tuition payment of $60.00 is due at the first rehearsal on July 5.
- Checks should be made out to “Second City Chamber Series”
- A limited number of scholarships are available, please do not let financial hardship prevent you from participating in YCP!
Dr. Zach Lyman, Director
(253)740-5740 (call or text)
The Second City Chamber Series provides high school-aged musicians interested in the performance of chamber music — and who qualify by audition — the opportunity to participate in the Young Chamber Players. The program is made possible through the generous support of the E. K. and Lillian Bishop Foundation.
Auditions for the 2020-21 Concert Season should be uploaded to YouTube and will be due Monday, June 7 at 5pm.
The Young Chamber Players is directed by Dr. Zachary Lyman. As the season unfolds, the students study and rehearse chamber music together, receive coaching from Second City Chamber Series artists and, mid-year, demonstrate their accomplishments with a concert held at Skyline Presbyterian Church in Tacoma.
Young Chamber Players participants may participate as existing ensembles or may be assigned to new ensembles appropriate to their number and instrumental mix, or both. Participants will receive:
- Eight or more coaching sessions on the preparation and performance of selected chamber music repertoire by coaches drawn from the roster of outstanding Second City Chamber Series musicians (traditionally on Thursdays), plus an organizational meeting and dress rehearsal.
- Special instruction and insight by Second City Chamber Series musicians on the unique challenges and rewards of chamber music performance, college music auditions, methods of individual practice and preparation, ensemble rehearsal techniques, selection and programming of repertoire, and solutions to common performance problems, including performance anxiety.
- Access to all Second City Chamber Series concerts throughout the year, plus opportunities to observe rehearsals of the professional SCCS ensembles.
- A Second City Chamber Series “Spotlight Concert” featuring the YCP ensembles, plus other performances in the community. Past performances include Tacoma Museum of Glass on Family Day, Boys and Girls Club performance and ice cream social, and the St. John’s Episcopal Church concert series in Olympia.
Interested in joining us? Watch this website for further information about how to audition for the next concert season.