Hilary Field returns to the Second City Chamber Series to perform works from her new album featuring contemporary Hispanic works.
- Alexander Borodin: Piano Trio in D Major
- Sergei Rachmaninoff: Trio élégiaque No. 1 in g minor
- Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov: Piano Trio in c minor
Just as in the United States, the borders of the Russian Empire expanded considerably during the nineteenth century. We’ll hear some of the musical results from Russia’s great masters!
Join dueling violinists Svend Rønning and Gwendolyn Taylor in an entertaining program of works from Mozart to Mark O’Connor at the home of organ builder Paul Fritts (formerly the home of Annette and C. Davis Weyerhaeuser)
- Béla Bartók: String Quartet No. 3
- Franz Joseph Haydn: String Quartet
- Zoltán Kodály: String Quartet No. 2, Op. 10
- György Kurtág: 12 Microludes for String Quartet, Op. 13, Hommage à Mihály András
“The Songs We Hide,” a new novel by Tacoma author Connie Connally, explores the role of music and art in maintaining community and sanity during the years of Hungary’s domination by the Soviet Union. Come to hear Ms. Connally read excerpts from her book and to hear the exotic music of this hidden land!
- Tor Aulin: Four Watercolors (Fyra Akvareller)
- Harri Wessman: Rain and Red Wine (Sadetta ja punaviiniä)
- Jón Nordal: Fairy Tale Sisters (Systur Í Garðshorni)
- Jean Sibelius: Five Pieces for Violin and Piano, Op. 81
- Edvard Grieg: Violin Sonata No. 3 in C minor, Op. 45
- Jacob Gade: Tango Jalousie
To celebrate the “bleak midwinter,” cozy up with Artistic Director Svend Rønning and pianist Lisa Bergman as they explore their shared passion for Nordic Music!
Second City’s Young Chamber Players has left an imprint on the city’s musical life, exposing hundreds of students to chamber music over its twenty-year existence and playing a role in bringing up the next generation of professional musicians. Come here the next generation of chamber musicians in their annual showcase recital with special guest, the Tacoma Youth Chorus.
- Johannes Brahms: Piano Quartet in G minor
- Gabriel Fauré: Piano Quaret in C minor
The Walla Walla based Delft Trio is joined by violist Elizabeth Oakes performing two of the most popular piano quartets in the literature by Brahms and Fauré.